Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Importance of Being More Christlike!!!

"Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself"
D&C 59:6


"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"
Matt. 5:43-44


I have trouble obeying those commandments. I like to think that I have no enemy's. I certainly hope that no one bears any ill will towards me for something I have done. However, I know that I have animosity towards people who use me and persecute me. Whether or not they mean to use or persecute me is irrelevant, from my perception that is what they are doing, although I certainly hope that they do not mean to do that.


How then can I love them? I don't want to deal with them, and yet I am forced to on a daily basis.


“For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

“Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.”

3 Nephi 11:29–30




I'm trying to forgive the perceived injustices. I know that I am not perfect, and I can't expect others to be, I try to treat people fairly giving them the benefit of doubt, but it seems to happen more often than not.

Most importantly I know that these feelings are holding me back spiritually, they are keeping me from feeling the Holy Ghost and drawing closer to my Father in Heaven. I desire to be close, to feel His spirit and to live with Him eternally.




"May we make a conscious decision, each time such a decision must be made, to refrain from anger and to leave unsaid the harsh and hurtful things we may be tempted to say."

Thomas S. Monson




Most of the time I don't say anything hurtful to those that offend me, I harbor feelings of anger in my heart. I need to let them go. My fear is I will have these feelings when I pass to the next life and be that way forever.

If anyone has any tips on ways to relieve stress or anger, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks in advance for any help.

**Update**

I guess the lesson I'm learning from this experience; be kind to everyone. Not just to the face but be genuine. Its easier said than done but be kind, love them, and you will find happiness.

No comments: